RPWL - Tales From Outer Space - 2019
This is may be the most complete album yet by German band RPWL. Originally a Pink Floyd cover band, lead singer Yogi Lang sounds much like David Gilmour and their soaring guitar solos are still very Floydian. In typical prog fashion, this is a concept album, and despite that cliche, I thought this album's theme was clever and poignant: aliens come to earth with the notion that our planet is an oasis, but they find human inhabitants are cruel, reckless beings who are destroying the earth. In the final song, Far Away From Home, the alien describes his own idyllic planet saying, "I wish that words could say what life means when your heart is full of joy: no want, no greed, no gods to tell you lies, when love wins the fight against our fears...But it hurts so much to see how you destroyed what you were meant to be. Once there was a time when we were just like you. It's in the past and so hard to believe." The chorus asks if we're ready to travel back to their planet. Some days I wish I could join them. 
Canadian band Big Wreck returns to their hard rock roots on this album, and it felt good to have something fun to crank up to eleven. Not as polished and layered as their fantastic album Ghosts, ...but for the sun is a worthwhile addition to their catalog of six studio albums; two from the late 90's and then four more in the '20-teens'. Sadly, co-founder Brian Doherty died of lung cancer but was credited as contributing to the album. Big Wreck toured with a guest guitarist, and had tour dates in the US that I believe were a first for the band. Their LA show I attended was good but somber, and Ian Thornley had little to say, which may just be his way. ProgReport.com had this good review about their latest album: Big Wreck has always been a band that skates around the edges of the prog world. Their music is at times straight forward rock, but there are always elements of risk-taking, adventurous songwriting, lengthy songs, and explosive guitar playing. After finding initial success in the 90s and shortly thereafter disbanding, the band returned, led by Big Wreck mastermind Ian Thornley, in 2012 and have enjoyed a surprisingly even more successful second life. Albums like Albatross, Ghosts and Grace Street displayed immense growth and diversity, and a little bit of prog mentality. This is a band that never makes the same album twice and is never afraid to step outside the rock norms.
Duran Duran - Paper Gods - 2015
I'm not sure why this 2015 release hit such a chord with me in 2019, but I found myself listening to several songs daily for months. I had checked it out when first released, but only discovered its merits after casually listening one afternoon. Simon Le Bon, keyboardist Nick Rhodes, bassist John Taylor, and drummer Roger Taylor recorded their 14th studio album with producer Nile Rodgers, and they were able to aptly combine their trademark sound with a modern, EDM style. Weaving guest vocalists, bass drops, and memorable choruses, Duran Duran sounds fresh and keeps true to their sound. Yola - Walk Through Fire - 2019
Spotify was kind enough to suggest Yola, and something about the opening track Faraway Look struck me as more than meets the eye. Sure enough, the songs, instrumentation, and production have a quality that continue to keep me listening over and over.Wikipedia says: "The album title references both a fire which damaged Yola's home and an abusive relationship from which she escaped. Walk Through Fire was written, recorded and produced at Dan Auerbach's Easy Eye Studio in Nashville. Auerbach produced the record and assembled an all-star cast for its creation. Most of the songwriting was a collaboration of Yola and Auerbach. Yola received four nominations at the 62nd Grammy Awards, including the all-genre Best New Artist category."
Jeff Lynne's ELO - From Out of Nowhere - 2019
Out of Nowhere is appropriately, (or maybe intentionally) named since I had no idea this was going to be released in 2019. We went to see Jeff and ELO in Portland in June and songs from this collection weren't played or referenced. Initially I wasn't impressed with it, especially the recording, which sounded flat to me. I read Jeff Lynne played every instrument and surely oversaw every aspect. Fortunately I kept listening and found the songs stuck in my head, like a classic ELO track such as Telephone Line would. Pretty great from a guy in his early seventies who's back to touring and producing new material.





No comments:
Post a Comment